Sunday, August 26, 2012

Crisis averted.......for now

So yesterday started like any other day. Except that it was Macey's birthday and we had to get up at 7 in the morning so we could get to the zoo. We had a really good time. I rented a power scooter so I wouldn't over do it. I got laughed at, but I am glad I did it. Then we went to dairy queen and had an Ariel ice cream cake and opened presents. Macey was happy to see everybody, and of course open presents! :)

We left Calgary before 6 in the evening. We were hoping to get home early so the girls could have shower before bed. We had to be up early again to be in Cranbrook for 10 o'clock church. Jaron's sister's baby was being blessed, so we were going to hang out for the day. We bought some furniture for the newly renovated room and it was supposed to be picked up in Lethbridge Monday for it. Doesn't this sounds like a nice pleasant weekend? Busy, but nice, and planned. Well, plans are apparently made to be changed. At least it seem so in our house.

It might start to get a little graphic soon. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Sometime in the evening, I felt a gush of fluid. It wasn't just a lot of the "regular" stuff, but liquid as well. It went through to my pants. I started to freak out in my head just a wee bit. I didn't want to get Jar worked up, so I just kept it to myself for a bit and to see if anything else was going to leak or if contractions would start.

So we got home and got the girls showered and in bed. I went and showered and then went downstairs to talk to Jar. I was more worried that if it was my water had broken, I didn't want to chance infection, but if it wasn't, then no big deal. A least I would know. I wasn't really feeling right either. So I asked Jar if he would clean up the kitchen while I got packed up. I told him calmly what was going on and that I thought it was best to go get checked now while it was still earlier in the night. He got to cleaning and I got to packing.
The girls have had an overnight bag in the van for over a month now, just in case. I packed a weeks worth of stuff though, because I knew if the boys came now, I wouldn't be going home until they did. So I packed my stuff and the girls stuff and we all got in the van. The girls got dropped off at a friends' house while we were at the hospital so that Jar could be in there too. Apparently the girls didn't go back to sleep after that. Oooops! Sorry!

They got me in and tried to hook me up to the fetal monitors. It took forever. They kept getting the same baby's heart beat on both of the monitors. Once they got it all figured out they started doing different tests. I had two different tests to see if my water had actually broken. They both came back negative! I was thrilled! They did another test called an ffn test. It is a fetal fibronectin test. It's a test that helps determine I someone is going into premature labor. A positive test is a bit more inconclusive. It means the chance is higher of giving birth in the next week or two, but it can go longer. It not definitive. If it's negative your chance of going into labor within the next two weeks is around 1%. My test came back positive.

Once they told me that everything started to go downhill. They hooked me up to the iv and started pumping the It was so cold I started to shiver really bad. I got a steroid shot to help develop the babies' lungs and they told me I was being sent by ambulance to Lethbridge because they didn't want me there. So Jar went and grabbed the girls because we had arrangements for someone to pick them up there so they would be close. He came back and brought them in to say good bye. They were in there jammies and you could tell that they were a bit confused and concerned. I wanted to cry. For them, for the babies, for me, but I knew I couldn't in front of them so I gave them big hugs and told them I loved them. I told them it was alright and I would see them tomorrow sometime, so be good girls while you are away. Ugh! I hate stuff like that. They watched the ambulance people put me on the bed and lift me high up and wheeled me away. I may have started to tear up then.

We made it to Lethbridge pretty much uneventful. Jar met our friend outside the hospital, so he was in right away. I had been getting the odd contraction since the hospital, but my mind was in other places to really pay attention to them. My back was starting to hurt and the contractions were starting to hurt as well. When we got to the hospital, we waited in the hallway while I got checked in quick. I had a contraction there. We walked down to the elevator. I had a contraction there. Up to my room, went to the bathroom and the contractions started to come. Ever so slowly and then harder and they were about a minute apart.

My nurse checked me and I was 2cm dilated. This freaked me out. They had already given me some stuff to make the contractions stop and it didn't seem to be working. I had hard contractions for about 8 hours and they finally started to go away. I didn't go any further than 2-3 cm, so that was good. Once they stopped they kept me on the monitors for awhile to make sure that it had stopped and stayed stopped.

I saw my doctor right around the time they were stopping. He wanted an ultrasound done and another steroid shot. He figured I would be there until Monday morning sometime if everything had remained the same. He left and the nurse brought me some juice and told me it should help. Oh, I forgot. Apparently they thought I was dehydrated. Hahaha! Apparently they do not live with me or drive in my van. There are water bottles ALL around! But water is not good enough for some reason. I have now been switched to powerade and juice. I can still have water, but I need to be drinking this other stuff. Which is fine really. They probably pumped 6 bags of iv fluid into me over the course of the time I was there. I'm pretty sure I gained at least 5 lbs in just water weight. I feel so puffy! They thought I was dehydrated because no matter how much water they pumped into me I kept showing ketones in my urine.

Anyways, where was I? Sorry, I am running two hours of sleep in the last 37. Brain is not functioning properly!

My nurse came back and said that my doctor would be in sometime soon and he was saying that if I was feeling good he would let me out that evening. I just had to get a shot at Pincher Hospital later tonight and see him in his office this week. Ummmmm, yes please! He didn't put me on bed rest either! Yay! I do not plan on doing anything but lay in bed and do the stuff that needs to be done. But at least I am not bed ridden yet.

The ultrasound showed that they were still in the same position as last week. One head down and the other head up. So that was good. Things couldn't have turned out better! It was scary and I was prepared mentally for them to come today. I am glad they didn't. My goal is still 3 more weeks, but even one would be awesome! So, I will keep praying and resting and hopefully they like it in there a little longer :)

Oh, and I think the 8 hours of labor I just went through should count towards my total amount of labor in the end, don't you? Haha! Of course I couldn't have two babies with one labor, I had to have at least 2!

One last tidbit. My next worry is Jar is leaving for work on Tuesday for a week! Please babies, stay in until daddy gets home! I know we have lots of family and friends to help us and support us. It really is a blessing! I am grateful for the people that helped us last night and today. I sure did help ease my mind knowing they were somewhere where they liked to be and were comfortable being. It actually helped me decide how I would like to handle the girls if these boys do come early and need to be in the NICU for a bit. Which was actually kinda nice. I want them to be in Lethbridge with us so that we are all together and I don't have to miss them. It is definitely the best plan for this mama! Jar will take them to our friends' house to stay the night and during the day I have some people to take them during the day. That's the plan anyways. I think they will do better that way as well. They will be included with what is going on, but also out having fun with their friends. Win win.

Sorry for the ramblings, my brain is fried and there is ALOT going through this head of mine right now!

1 comment: