Wednesday, July 18, 2012

27 weeks

I saw my OB/GYN yesterday. I am 27 weeks now, which means I am into the final trimester already! Whoop whoop! It is also going to be my shortest trimester!

Anyways, my doctor is great. He doesn't beat around the bush. He doesn't fill my head with useless information that will just get me worried. The only things we talk about are the things I have questions about. When I go in I always have a list of questions, but by the time I get in there he is so calm and doesn't seem concerned, so I end up not asking anything. Most of the time anyways. I still haven't had to undress at all for any of my appointments, which is awesome! I don't have to give a urine sample every time either. I really like the atmosphere there. I know that people really truly have issues when they are pregnant, but sometimes I wonder if problems are created by the constant tests and worry that is put into our minds. So, I really like how they run their clinic. It helps ease my mind anyways.

I went in, he measured me and listened to both of the heart rates. He asked how I was feeling and if I was feeling a lot of movement. He told me that everything looked great. I had my glucose test done and that was good. My blood pressure was good, but I am anemic, so I need to up my iron and then we'll check it again later on. So nothing major. I asked him if I had grown big enough since I saw him last. He said 'Yes, why?" I told him that I get told I am too small to be having twins or you are so tiny. Stuff like that. He chuckled and said "You look great! You are measuring 32 weeks and your weight gain is really good. You can tell those people that I said you are doing awesome!"

So there. My OB/GYN said I am doing awesome! I bring it up because I hear it ALL the time. I take it as a compliment, but sometimes some people almost seem disappointed. I don't know why, but it makes me wonder if they are disappointed because they want to see what a twin belly looks like and mine looks normal, or they want to see me fat. Either way, I am glad that I carry my babies well. Just so you know, I have gained 27 lbs so far! 27 lbs at 27 weeks. I think that is a lot because I gained only 30-35 lbs with the girls. It is important to gain weight in the first 2 trimesters though with twins. There is a 24 lbs by 24 weeks rule. Your chances of delivering your babies early drops if you gain that weight. So, I think I am doing good. I did read another article that said 40 lbs by 28 weeks. Sorry, I won't be gaining 13 lbs over the next 6 days! My minimum weight gain for this pregnancy based on my prepregnancy weight and height is 37 lbs. I am supposed to be gaining around 1.5 lbs a week, so I should do just fine with my weight and size. Another thing I get told a lot after the size of my uterus is discussed is they feel like they need to remind me that I still have time to get enormous. Thanks, I know that already. Does that make you feel better about yourself? Okay, so I'm ranting a little. Cut me some slack, I'm pregnant :)

While I am on a bit of a tangent, I will discuss the next thing I get asked/told. It is "So, you're done having kids now, right?"

Ummm, I don't know. How am I supposed to know that? I haven't even had these kids yet! I get it in both question form and as a statement. I don't know if it's the fact that it's twins or because now our family is going to be 2 girls and 2 boys so they will be evened out. But it is definitely something that I hear ALL the time. I'm not necessarily against having more at this moment in time, but I can't see into the future and I really don't know what is going to happen.

All done ranting. A little bit more exciting stuff, well for me anyways. Since I am 27 weeks yesterday, I only have 10 weeks left! Well, 10 weeks until my twin due date and 11 weeks until they induce me if I go that far. So, I have max 11 weeks left of being pregnant! I am really hoping that I can hold out to 36 weeks. Jar is working from my week 35-36, so I will be happy with anytime after 36 weeks. Around 50% of twins come before 37 weeks and I think the average time they come is at 35.5 weeks. So it makes me a bit nervous, but once he is home, they can feel free to come when ever they want! In less than 2 weeks it will be August, so in 2 weeks that means I will be able to say that these babies are going to be here next month. Nerve racking, exciting, surreal.

Jar's sisters have both had babies in the last 2 months and on Sunday they were both together. They are close to the same weight, so I held them both at the same time to give me a glimpse into the future. Oh dear. It was pretty crazy. Pretty sure I've held two different babies before, but never when I am expecting two!

I am starting to get anxious for them to get here. I can't wait to see what they look like and to figure out the twin thing. Yes, to all you naysayers, I know it's going to be a lot of work and there are going to be bad days, but I don't have anything that I need to do other than take care of my kids and I know how to simplify. Mackie is old enough to do a lot and she is seriously the best little helper I have ever met. I have a chest freezer full of freezer meals and I am trying to get as much prepared as I can now. I am not really concerned about the after labor, it's just getting them here healthy and not knowing when it's all going to happen, that is stressful. Next month I start having regular ultrasounds to see how they are growing and to see their position. Once this starts, I know that a lot of my anxiety about how they are doing will drop a lot and it will ease my mind about delivery as well a bit. I am excited for this new adventure and I feel blessed that our family was chosen for this special opportunity. Come on 10 weeks and fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment