Sunday, June 24, 2012

I love my mom!

This weekend was a crazy, busy, productive weekend! I seriously have THE best mom ever! For reals.

When I found out I was having twins I went into panic mode. I like to be prepared. I like organization. I like to feel some control of my situation. Having twins kinda threw that out the window. I don't really know when they are coming. I know that they won't let me go past 38 weeks, but they could come earlier. I have limited energy. My body is already starting to ache. I knew the aches and pains were going to come faster and I knew I wanted to be prepared. I also knew that I really want to be able to enjoy these babies as much as possible when they get home. I plan on nursing them, so I bought a twin nursing pillow to make it easier. I am buying a stroller that is kinda pricey, but it's going to be a huge life saver in the end. I went down to Kalispell to go buy some boy things so that I didn't have to depend on anyone else giving things to me or buying things for them. Plus it's so much cheaper in the States! I didn't buy a ton, well it seems like a ton, but I bought enough basics to cover my butt. See where I'm going with this so far? I want to be prepared now. Not right before they get here or after, but as soon as possible. Then I can focus on my kids. So because of this need of mine to feel somewhat in control.....let me clarify......I don't need to be in control of everything and everyone around me, but I like to have a plan so I can be better prepared for what life may throw at me. Anyways, because of this need, I got it into my head that I HAD to have freezer meals prepared. Lots of them.

I mulled the idea over for awhile and I had seen some things on Pinterest that looked good. I  knew that I would need help and that if I didn't have someone else to do it with I wouldn't get it done. Last fall I made around 30 apple pies and 30 apple crisps by myself and I hated it. I am glad I did it, but I wasn't pregnant then and I was beat. It was 2 days of constant apples. Ugh! That's why I knew that I knew I needed someone else to join in.

I talked to my mom about it and she was definitely up for it. She even had freezer meal recipes and a grocery list with prep instructions that she got from a class that she went to. It was perfect. She copied off the list and we set a date. We would both buy our groceries and I would go up and we would make ours together and we would both end up with a freezer full of meals. It was a perfect plan.

My mom ended up deciding that it would be too much work to do both of ours, so we just did mine and then she'll do hers later. It's a good thing too. I got over 100 meals out of it and her two freezers were completely full. It was a struggle to get everything in. I was only able to bring about half back, but we are going to be up there again this weekend, so I'll take my coolers up again and fill them up with the rest.

I was really impressed with the recipes. There was 14 different ones. I can't remember them all, but there was Chicken Cordon Blue, Hawaiian Chicken, Chicken Casserole, Manicotti, Enchiladas, Chicken Pot Pies, Swiss Steak, Meatballs, Meatloaf, Lasagna, Shepherd's Pie, Ham Alfredo, Meatlover's Pizza Casserole, and one more that I can't think of. They were all really good recipes with lots of vegetables. Everytime we finished one we would say "Oooooo, that looks really good!" I will have to still prepare some rice or potatoes or a salad or some type of side with some of them, but I would have to be making something anyways. This way, I don't have to feel bad that I am feeding my kids Kraft Dinner or ichiban all the time. Some can be eaten by itself, especially when Jar is at work. Between the girls and I, we won't eat as much, so I really liked the portion sizes. I am glad it is all done and I won't have to worry about it anymore.

Even though it was a lot of work, it was still a great weekend. By the end of the first day, we were both hurting and tired. The first day was long and it felt like we got a lot done until we looked at what we had left to do. The second day went by really fast though and we had everything done, supper made, and the kitchen cleaned up by 4:30. It was awesome! The best part of it all though, was hanging out with my mom. We talked and laughed, I'm pretty sure my mom wanted to cry. She is pretty banged up right now. She's turned into a walking disaster the last 2 weeks for some reason and keeps hurting herself. One knee is a big scab that keeps weeping and dripping...ewwww! The other knee is black and blue. She ran over her baby toe with the shopping cart the night before we started while we were getting the last bit of groceries. So, yeah, pretty sure she would have cried if she could. She's real tough though :)

It was a blessing to me to have my mom show her love to me through service. It seemed pretty huge to me that she would do that for me. It was a huge undertaking. In the beginning when we both planned on doing it, I figured that we would be helping each other, but it ended up just being my food made. I know my mom loves me lots. She tells me all the time and she shows me all the time. She is always there for me when I need her and she has been there for me even when I think I don't. That's probably when I need her the most! She is a great mom to me by being a great Nana too! I know she loves me, but this weekend was different for me. For those who know me well, they know that I don't really like help. I have always been very self reliant and I like being that way. It wasn't hard to accept my mom's help, but it was such a huge help and I wasn't expecting to be just making my meals. I don't know if she realizes how much help it actually was, well how much I appreciate it. I'm glad that I have a mom that loves me and knows me well enough to know how important it was to me to get those meals made. I'm even more glad that I have a mom who will take time out of her busy schedule to help me get it done. Even when she is busted up!

Even though it was hard work, we got a lot done and I have a new appreciation for how far a mother's love will go. Thanks Mom! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment