Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Married Single Mom

I am a married single mom. Sometimes it's nice. Sometimes it's not.

The times I like it are at bedtime. I have a huge king-size bed all to myself....and the twins on and off through the night....but mostly to myself. No one snoring or breathing bad breath on me. Sometimes it's easier to get everybody out the door when it's just me. Go figure that one out! I don't have to cook for someone that has to have more than a salad or Ichiban or Kraft Dinner. I don't have to expect any kind of effort from any other parent, I know that if I want something done I need to do it myself. It's quiet time and just-me time when the kids are in bed. I can shut down and do my own thing. If this sounds like I am complaining about Daddy being home, I am not. These are just the times when I find it to be easier when Daddy is gone. Easier isn't always better!

The times I don't like being a married single mom are when it's raining cats and dogs and my roof is leaking all over everything and I twisted my ankle and something/someone crashed around in the garage and I have to clean it all up before bedtime kind of days. I will have to carry two babies around tomorrow and have the house cleaned and have everyone packed and drive to my parents' house this weekend. I don't like being a married single mom on those kind of days as much. When the power goes out and there is not much to do, I kinda like to have company around. When I run out of shows to watch or Netflix isn't working, I like having someone to get me more shows. My feet don't rub themselves. On nights like tonight when I am panicking about if I can remember how to load the gun....or thinking maybe it's easier to go out there with my metal Jesus bust....or my scrapbooking knife that is laying on my desk, right before I am going to go check out what is crashing around my garage...I'd rather not have to do any of it. Seriously though, I just ran and locked the deadbolt and the doorknob. Quick fix!

There is not much I can do about my situation. For the most part, it works. We are still trying to figure out things and adjust to it all, but we are extremely fortunate for Daddy to have such a great job! I am only by myself for 9 days at the most, but everything happens on those 7-9 days. Monsters bump in the night. Babies grow up. Kids lose teeth. Fall off bikes. Moms twist ankles.

Maybe tomorrow I will be brave enough to check out the garage in the daylight :)

P.S. - even though it is super awesome to sleep by myself in my ginormous bed and not be breathed on, it is still better to have Daddy home. I sacrifice like that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment